Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sweet Grandma

So grandma is in town.Hwow!That so means a lot of things,especially in our culture.You have to treat her like a princess,and she cannot sleep in our house according to custom.Well,I don't know what might happen if she does,but..that's the way it is.She is a born 1969..how many years are those now?mmmm...I'll do the Math later.Well,my aunt,her daughter, is suffering from Tuberculosis and she's been admitted to hospital for close to two weeks now.So you understand why grandma is around.

The only challenge I get when she is around is how to communicate to her.She isn't so conversant with Swahili.She's typically Luo,and you know,growing in the city did not do me much justice in helping me master the language of my tribe,even though I can speak it like a foreign tongue. Just today I was going to pick her at the bus stop after she had come home from hospital to see my aunt with dad,and she was wondering how cars in Nairobi town are never really in a hurry in contrast to the Mombasa Road highway where vehicles literally fly...and I was unable to find the right vocabulary to explain to her that we were crossing a highway,and vehicles behave that way.So I just smiled off. Of course she couldn't know what was going through my mind.

Nevertheless,I love her company.We cooked some chapatis this morning for her breakfast.It just feels good to cater for her like she catered for dad when he was a small thing...:)

Mum and dad are doing better.They stopped fighting. That's good for us. Am supposed to be going back to school yet I have no idea where dad is gonna get my fees from. I haven't even completed last semester's fees. Anyway, I leave it to God.Let's just have a good time and have faith.



No comments:

Post a Comment